Separation is a time of many changes and it is important to seek support if you need it. However, navigating the maze of services available to separated families can be difficult.

For general information, Family Relationships Online is an Australian Government service designed to provide all families with easy online access to information about family relationship issues.

Family Relationship Centres have been set up across Australia by the Government and offer family dispute resolution (mediation) services to help families determine future care arrangements for children. Mediators will help you to focus on your children’s needs and decide what to do next. They can also assist you to develop a parenting plan.

Parenting plans are not binding or enforceable. However, talk to one of our lawyers about preparing Consent Orders to formalise your agreement.

For more information, or to find your nearest centre, visit or contact the Family Relationships Advice Line on 1800 050 321.

Family Counselling can assist you and your family to deal with the breakdown of relationships, transitioning to new living arrangements and issues relating to the care of your children and financial adjustments.

Drummond Street Services offers a range of services including counselling for individuals, children and families, parenting support programs and a range of groups and seminars. We have received great feedback about their ‘Parenting Kids Who Worry’ program. This is a 4 session parenting course that helps with strategies to calm anxiety and manage separation and other life transitions for kids.

For those co-parenting ups and downs the MyMob APP available free at can be helpful. This simple tool will assist with keeping everyone up to date and in helping parents recall everything from the children’s shoe size to doctor’s appointments and school events. There is also a respectful language filter to ensure that there is no swearing or name calling in communications.

For more information contact Drummond Street Services on 9663 6733.

Other support services that may assist you and your family:

  • Relationships Australia on 1300 364 277
  • Stepfamilies Australia on 9663 6733
  • Life Works on 1300 543 396
  • Dads in Distress on 1300 853 437
  • WIRE (Women’s Information and Referral Exchange) on 1300 134 130
  • National Council for Single Mothers and their Children on 1800 758 150

If you need after hours or crisis support the following services provide telephone counseling:

  • Lifeline Australia on 13 11 14
  • Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800
  • 1800 RESPECT on 1800 737 732
  • Mensline on 1300 78 99 78
  • Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636

If you are feeling unsafe, or have any concerns about the safety of your children, talk to one of our lawyers about the other options available to you.

There are many services available to help you and your family through the difficulties of separation. We would be pleased to discuss these with you and refer you to the most appropriate services.

Want to find out more about us and how we can help you ?