What if I am in a same sex relationship?

Parties who have lived in a domestic relationship in a metro sexual or same sex relationship can have their financial disputes determined in the Supreme Court of Victoria, the County Court of Victoria or the Magistrates' Court.

The Courts can deal with these matters by applying principles of equity or the provisions of Part IX of the Property Law Act.

Under recent changes, the same laws apply to all domestic partners, irrespective of gender. Documents can be drawn which set out any agreement that former domestic partners may reach for the division of their assets.

For further information contact one of our lawyers today. 

Back to FAQs