Peter B. Berry
In 2002 Peter started the practice of Berry Family Law initially with a junior lawyer and one other lawyer. Since then Berry Family Law has expanded to being one of the largest firms in Australia dedicated solely to family law and relationship law. He is now happy to work as a Consultant to the practice which enables him to pass on his skills and experience in family law.
Peter was admitted as a solicitor in 1980. He practised family law exclusively from 1985 and in 1989 he was accredited by the Law Institute of Victoria as a Family Law Specialist.
Peter has been involved in community and other organisations in various roles:
- Member of the steering committee of the Victorian Family Law Pathways Network
- Member of the Advisory Committee of the Family Court Registrar Legal Profession
- Vice Chairman of the Family Law Section of the Law Institute of Victoria
- Chairman of a committee liaising with the Rights of Homosexual People on behalf of the Family Law Executive
- Member of the Children and Youth Issues Committee of the Family Law Section of the Law Institute of Victoria
- Member of the Courts Practice Committee of the Family Law Section of the Law Institute of Victoria
- Member of the Executive of the Family Law Section of the Law Institute of Victoria
- President of the Royal Flying Doctor Service of Victoria
- President of the Emeritus Council of the Royal Flying Doctor Service of Victoria
- Representative of the Victorian Section of the Royal Flying Doctor Service of Western Australia
- Chairman of the committee established by the Victorian Farmers’ Federation to establish a panel of lawyers used by the VFF
- Board member of the Julian Zahara Trust which provides scholarships to indigenous children and medical services in Papua, New Guinea
Peter has been invited and has lectured to the profession and to outside industry bodies in respect to family law matters
In the course of his career, Peter has acted in complex financial and parenting disputes including for high profile members of the legal profession, the business community, various political parties, counsel, and for other lawyers, including for accredited family law specialists or for the family of other accredited family law specialists.
Peter is married with two children and his hobbies include bike riding, travel overseas, 4 wheel drive touring and camping, fine dining and reading.
I enjoy my current role as a Consultant to Berry Family Law which enables me to pass on my knowledge of family law to the younger lawyers
It is the people who make the practice of family law special for me, both clients and the people within the practice
It has been a privilege to act for people from all walks of life in respect to what has been for many, the most difficult personal and financial time in their life
It is particularly rewarding to build a relationship with my clients over the period of their matter and to have their matter resolved by negotiation if feasible, and to otherwise obtain the best possible result for a client, if necessary, by litigation