What if family violence is involved?

Where there are issues of family violence to partners, children, other family members or property, it is possible to apply to the local Magistrates' Court for an Intervention Order. Once the Order is made, the Police deal with any breaches of it.

Is it also possible to obtain a personal protection order under the Family Law Act. However, it is more difficult for the Police to act on breaches of those orders.

The Family Law Act also takes into consideration the need to ensure safety from family violence.

Under the Act, the Family Court must take into account the need to ensure safety from family violence when considering applications for residence or contact orders. If there is a violent partner, the court can limit that person's contact to children to protect the children.

For further information contact one of our lawyers today.

Back to FAQs